While we here at Bauman Engraving & Signs are doing well as a business in 2020, lots of others across the nation are not – and mostly it is not of their choice. After carefully following what has been going on, it has come time to address the elephant in the room - and I as the President and owner of BES never thought I would have to write what follows:
I am deeply saddened by what I see going on in our country, and in our state of Michigan and nearby Wisconsin. The politics and media fear mongering going on this year has been unprecedented, both in terms of the overreach of civil rights and liberties of United States citizens and the level of what should really be a private health issue. We have elected officials to represent us and uphold the law of the land - laws put in place by legislature. They work FOR us as we put them there. Some of those “officials” are actually breaking the law, as they are attempting to make things they say (i.e.: mandates) laws. Mandates are NOT laws (however Michigan’s governor is skating a fine line on that issue due to a 1945 Act that is being challenged heavily right now). Laws apply equally to everyone, with equal consequences. Most Sheriffs, police, and military will agree as they take an oath to uphold the Constitution. I will stand by them all day long as most are good people and do their jobs well in upholding our rights.
Mandates that contain exemptions and no penal codes to charge against are NOT laws. I think we need to be crystal clear on that. Mandates that I have seen are hypocritical and even discriminatory. That violates law on a very basic level that everyone should understand. This isn’t about masks or the "greater good". This is ALL about our rights and civil liberties as defined on our Bill of Rights of the Constitution (both federal and state). We here at BES stand for freedom of choice in terms of health care issues, where one’s rights are respected. In closing, I want to leave you with these serious questions to ask yourselves:
• What has our government done to improve your health and natural immunity? Do you think masks, forced isolation, constant hand-washing and disinfecting help our immunity – or hurt it?
• Do you want control over your health decisions, or do you want the government to decide for you?
• Do you want government to decide your children’s health and education, or do you want that decision as their parent?
• After looking at unbiased data on legitimate deaths on the CDC website, would you say we have an overwhelming epidemic worthy of shutdowns and putting healthy people on house arrest? Why haven’t we done the same for much more prevalent sicknesses before? Where is the science?
• How can a state have both a recovery (i.e.: safe start) AND an emergency at the same time? Isn't that non-sequitur in definition?
• What does the United States of America mean to you - personally?
• Why should we put any faith in any vaccine to “save us” from a disease that has essentially a 99.8% recovery rate?
• Why should we put any faith cloth masks or face coverings to "protect" ourselves or others when the "curve" has been flattened long ago (in May - it is now August) concerning a virus that has essentially a 99.8% recovery rate? Isn't herd immunity desired by people? Why did the "experts" not highly recommend masks in the height of the season (March-April), and in fact say they did NOT recommend them at that time? Again, it is NOT a law to wear a mask as stated above. No consequence will result other than peer pressure (part of manufactured faux division) and if you are threatened with arrest, the court will throw the case out immediately and shine the light on those that do not work for our best interests. OSHA does not recommend these face coverings at all, and I will not subject my employees to face coverings unless they want to of their own accord. People have the right to not wear masks because of religious or medical reasons, and due to ADA and HIPAA laws you cannot be asked about that. While a business may refuse a person service, they can NOT discriminate against you as outlined in our Bill of Rights.
We are all adults here, and are capable of using common sense. We can make adult decisions concerning our own private health care as we have done in years past. As I see the evidence, we have no epidemic. If there is one, it is actually an epidemic of mind control by way of fear, confusion, and coercion. Any politician doing this is unfit for office and should be removed by due process. We elected them. They can also be un-elected. It's our constitutional right to do so if they are not acting in our best interests, or even being abusive in their duties towards us. They are not above the law. They work FOR us (and are supposed to). The Michigan Constitution, under Article 1 of our Bill of Rights, states:
§ 1 Political power. Sec. 1. All political power is inherent in the people. Government is instituted for their equal benefit, security and protection.
§ 2 Equal protection; discrimination. Sec. 2. No person shall be denied the equal protection of the laws; nor shall any person be denied the enjoyment of his civil or political rights or be discriminated against in the exercise thereof because of religion, race, color or national origin. The legislature shall implement this section by appropriate legislation.
§ 3 Assembly, consultation, instruction, petition. Sec. 3. The people have the right peaceably to assemble, to consult for the common good, to instruct their representatives and to petition the government for redress of grievances.
§ 4 Freedom of worship and religious belief; appropriations. Sec. 4. Every person shall be at liberty to worship God according to the dictates of his own conscience. No person shall be compelled to attend, or, against his consent, to contribute to the erection or support of any place of religious worship, or to pay tithes, taxes or other rates for the support of any minister of the gospel or teacher of religion. No money shall be appropriated or drawn from the treasury for the benefit of any religious sect or society, theological or religious seminary; nor shall property belonging to the state be appropriated for any such purpose. The civil and political rights, privileges and capacities of no person shall be diminished or enlarged on account of his religious belief.
§ 5 Freedom of speech and of press. Sec. 5. Every person may freely speak, write, express and publish his views on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of such right; and no law shall be enacted to restrain or abridge the liberty of speech or of the press.
§ 6 Bearing of arms. Sec. 6. Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.
§ 7 Military power subordinate to civil power. Sec. 7. The military shall in all cases and at all times be in strict subordination to the civil power.
That is just the first page. I feel the need to post that as I see lots of folks (politicians included) flat out ignoring those Rights. (You can view the entire text of the Michigan Constitution here).
I wish you and your families well through all of this. We all need eyes of discernment now more than ever. We need to be united in some very basic universal solutions, regardless of politics or health preferences. That goes for everyone - including business owners. Our government and its media are doing everything they can to make us divided and confused and scared - in order to control us. That should be glaringly obvious by now. And that is not OK. If you want to put an end to that, we need to stand together and stand up. We need to take back our power. We the People. It’s our right. That’s the bottom line.